Proven product engineering leader focused on scalable development of systems, from mobile apps through to distributed cloud backend systems. Shipped SaaS tools, SDKs, mobile apps, and web apps used by millions of people.
Technical Lead Manager
Jan 2020 - Present
Led an engineering team through the release of a new product treating sleep apnea. Worked with clinical and regulatory in launching a clinical study using the product.
Principal Software Engineer
Oct 2018 - Jan 2020
Localytics is a SaaS platform providing mobile app analytics and marketing to customers like ESPN, the NY Times, and Bose.
Technical lead for messaging and analytics backend infrastructure. Building scalable systems and developing the team's skills and processes to enable us to tackle the next generation of services.
Major new initiatives include:
Live Device Monitor - realtime device-to-dashboard streaming log viewer. Localytics' first Go (Golang) distributed microservice, on Docker in AWS. Reduced time to onboard new customers and enabled self-service support.
Usage & Billing 2.0 - Brand new customer billing process with internal jobs and customer-facing UI. Unified data snapshotting systems, API interfaces, and finance reporting enabling tens of millions of dollars of customer billing to function reliably and transparently each year.
Director, Product Management
Jul 2015 - Oct 2018
Strategic director managing and working with team of 6 PMs on development process, go-to-market strategy, and opportunity assessments.
Product manager for two teams of mobile, backend, and frontend engineers managing the Localytics mobile engagement platform.
Major new initiatives:
Push Platform Scaling - Led the Localytics Marketing Channels team through scaling to 5x growth in usage over 6 months. Developed system reliability metrics and brought them from 97% to 99.98%, preventing largest customers from churning and enabling sales of millions of dollars in new breaking-news performance-critical push customers.
Localytics Places - Launched new product for Geofence management and realtime triggered marketing campaigns based on user location. Opened market for location-critical retail verticals; now used by dozens of large Localytics customers like Redbox and L Brands.
Head of Mobile
2012 - 2015
LevelUp builds the apps, SDKs, hardware, and payment processing systems that power the mobile apps for brands like Sweetgreen and Caffè Nero. Acquired by Grubhub in 2018 for $390M.
As Head of Mobile, led team of five mobile engineers on all iOS and Android development initiatives, from green-field to production use at thousands of locations by millions of users:
• White-Label Libraries – Created the mobile SDKs and tools used internally by hundreds of custom-built apps. Led hiring for separate white-label app development and management team that runs client projects to this day. This enabled a new enterprise revenue channel and is the primary business GrubHub acquired.
• Merchant Devices – custom firmware, Android OS, and update/analytics services running on thousands of standalone scanners.
• Mobile Apps – the signature LevelUp apps for consumers and merchants.
Senior Android Developer
2010 - 2012
Architected and led development of SCVNGR for Android, LevelUp's initial flagship app. Worked with a small team of iOS, Android and Rails developers to ship a photo-sharing, checkin and merchant engagement game used by millions of people.
Founder & Partner (on Hiatus)
2008 - Present
Co-founded and ran successful software development consulting company. Handled all aspects of client projects, from sales to development and deployment.
• Locast (locast.mit.edu) – MIT Mobile Experience Lab – Developed the frontend Web interface and backend APIs for a mobile location-aware video sharing application in Django.
• RedLaser for Android – Occipital – Developed Android app and standalone SDK for their barcode scanning and shopping app. Profitably acquired by eBay shortly afterwards.
North Chelmsford, MA
2005 - 2008
Wrote Java software powering Net-Temps' Web tools for companies and job-seekers. Developed new webcrawler system in Python used to process and parse millions of résumés and job descriptions.
BS, Computer Science & Philosophy
2001 - 2005
Justice Brandeis Scholar, National Merit Scholar.
Founding editor, The Hoot newspaper. Founding member, Ballroom Dance Team. Lead guitarist, The Ghosthead Nebula (rock band).
- Go (Golang)
- Ruby / Rails
- Databases: Snowflake, Postgres, MySQL, Dynamo
- Engineering Leadership
- Mobile Development
- REST & Microservices API Architecture
- Distributed Systems & Cloud Computing (AWS)
- Public Speaking