At 24, I printed out my resume, took the train into Manhattan, and knocked on the doors of web design firms marketing web development services for hire. In six months I built a company that would go on to help nearly two dozen startups to market, supporting a small team for about five years in the process. I've nurtured many different products under three principles: one, to leverage data, intuition, and core values in product design; two, technology exists to simplify our interface with the data and algorithms that power it; and three, to treat each business I grow with the same energy I did while launching my own that cold day in December.
Senior Director (Product Delivery)
Wall Street, NY
Mar 2016 - Present
The first immersive coding school and the only program to cultivate developers with in-demand technical and interpersonal skills.
- Directed an 18-week web developer bootcamp with up to 60 students under my care at any given time.
- Attained an average of +85 NPS in the week following the program, considered "world-class" by global NPS standards.
- Helped ~270 students change careers, generating nearly $4mm in revenue over the course of 1 year.
- Prioritized the work of ~20 direct reports in the operations, teaching, marketing, admissions, and career development functions.
- Tracked team progress against enrollment, revenue, operating income, NPS, and career outcomes KPIs.
- Streamlined vendor, staffing, event, and marketing expenses, saving 15% monthly against a $3.3mm yearly budget.
- Reduced costs by ~$6,000 per month and improved student learning support by architecting a more efficient mentor program.
- Recruited 6 software developer instructors with a combined ~30 years experience at Microsoft, NASA, and the United Nations.
- Coached team through organizational restructuring, leadership changes, and an increased workload.
- Instituted a “burnout-resistant” teacher scheduling system and structured and guided professional development time.
- Recognized consistently by executives as the leader of a happy, self-sufficient team dedicated to each other and the customer.
Flatiron District, NY
May 2015 - Mar 2016
CTO-level technical and product strategy firm, partnering with entrepreneurs to unlock a new wave of East Coast innovation.
- Assembled the development team for iteration planning, daily stand up, weekly retrospective, and release planning meetings.
- Reprioritized work, removed blockers, and aligned talent to task to facilitate expedient shipment of features and bug fixes.
- Mediated between executives, designers, and developers to produce informed product roadmaps and functional specs.
- Reconciled customer feedback, esoteric designs, and technical limitations into clear user stories.
- Educated entrepreneurs and their teams on Scrum, product management, and the nuances of working with developers.
Product Manager, UX Designer, Front-end Developer
Madison Avenue, NY
Dec 2010 - May 2015
Lean Startup, design, and development team working with entrepreneurs to roadmap products and execute on technology.
- Founded a Ruby on Rails web development consultancy for self-funded to growth/early-stage startups.
- Expanded project budgets from $1,000 per project to projects over $300,000 in under three years.
- Wrote functional specs, product roadmaps, and user stories to lead over 20 products through agile development.
- Launched self-funded startups from ideas to market while applying Lean Startup techniques to keep costs as low as possible.
- Shipped flagship features as both front-end developer and UX designer: wizards, form builders, and advanced search.
- Achieved 100% fidelity to source designs while maintaining readable, easy-to-modify, and reusable code.
- Coded a library of HTML and CSS-based UI components that shaved hours off of development time.
- Engineered one self-funded client from mockups in Photoshop to a user experience A/B tested against a user base of 20,000.
- Developed a Ruby job to import and sync data from a legacy .NET vacation planning system to a new Rails production database.
Hell's Kitchen, NY
Jul 2008 - Jul 2010
Strategic design and technology company creating interactive experiences that build brands and grow businesses.
- Leveraged C#, ASP.NET, and MSSQL to offer a candy manufacturer metrics and data visualizations to track performance of ads.
- Employed Java, JSP, and MySQL to create a shopping cart and accompanying PDF print outs for a manufacturer of light bulbs.
- Utilized ActionScript and Flex to allow a men's products manufacturer to easily manipulate content on their microsite.
- Established production environments for an automobile manufacturer, removing their need to support this in-house.
- Patched a JVM memory leak that threatened to grind live servers to a halt during a campaign's Yahoo page takeover.
New York University
BS, Computer Science, Psychology
2004 - 2008
- Specialized in computer graphics, game design, and database systems.
- Built software based experiments in behavioral Economics.
- Minored in psychology with studies in personality, perception, and cognition.