Lead Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA (Remote)
Jan 2018 - Present
* Led a project to redesign warehouse picking carts to improve ergonomics and walking distance, which yielded an annual savings of $2 million. Worked with business partners to define the scope of changes needed.
* Took on a Project Lead position on my team for the latter portion of the project for warehouse changes needed to launch the new Kids business line. Duties included running stand ups and working with business partners to determine priority of tasks, as well as work on IC tasks. The Kids launch opened up a $34 billion market.
* Led a project to deprecate an old application originally used for picking replacement items in the warehouse. We created a new section in an existing picking application, which reduced tech debt, improved user experience, and provided significant cost savings (increasing picking by ~8,000 fixes per week).
* Led the effort to migrate the UK support program so that UK IT could take over triage of UK support issues. This included creating a tool to help onboard IT to PagerDuty and help them determine which Engineering team to page. I trained them on PagerDuty, and continued to be the point person for 1 year.
* Took on mentoring a junior engineer, supporting them through 1 on 1s and pair programming. I encouraged them to communicate their needs to managers and in retrospectives, and I helped them to organize their progress that contributed to their promotion.
* Led the effort to create SLOs and SLO documents for two teams and presented them to the overall org. I also led a mob pairing session to help set up other teams to create SLOs for their applications.
* Rewrote a pack slip printing application. Originally a native Mac OS app written in Swift, we rewrote and improved the functionality in a Rails web app. This improved maintainability and performance, and made it more accessible for the users.
* Helped update an interview to be more relevant to what our organization worked on day-to-day. I also helped to train other teams on how to give the interview.
* Supported automation of outbound processes in the warehouse including leading the technical approach to support cobots picking of replacement items for fixes.
* Helped to launch a cross functional initiative to increase the company’s inventory capacity through drop ship and flexible inventory. I led the effort to make our returns functionality ready for these different types of inventory.
San Francisco, CA (Remote)
Nov 2016 - Jan 2018
• In the first month of employment, I was asked to co-lead my team. Duties included scrum master and engineering advocate.
• Designed and implemented most of the customer-facing API for managing users on an account. This API has two main parts. The first is a basic API open to all customers. The second is part of an integration with a customer, and used internally to communicate between the basic API and the customer's pre-existing internal tools for user management.
• Identified and addressed a lack in deployment documentation. By creating the documentation, I made the complex process easier to perform without error, and possible to distribute tasks across team members. I identified and addressed similar needs in the team, including the Kanban process.
Software Design Engineer
Feb 2016 - Aug 2016
Santa Clara, CA (Remote)
Jul 2014 - Nov 2015
May 2013 - May 2014
May 2012 - May 2013
Apr 2010 - May 2012
University of Pittsburgh
2006 - 2009
- Ruby (Rails, REST APIs)
- SQL (MySQL, Postgresql)
- Version Control (Git/Github)
- Front End (HTML, CSS, SASS)
- TDD (RSpec, Cucumber, Capybara)