Lead software engineer with 9+ years of experience in the full software development lifecycle. Highly adept in leading engineering teams that deliver on business requirements with strong technical vision. Collaborative team player and dedicated advocate for simple solutions and delightful experiences.
Lead Software Engineer
Jan 2016 - Present
• Owned technical vision for entire next-generation product launch spanning 3+ years and involved strong cross-team collaboration.
• Architected high-scale event ingestion pipeline using Node, WebSockets, Google Cloud Pub/Sub, and Elasticsearch that auto scales to handle peak holiday traffic of 15k events per second and reduced data loss due to downtime to 0%.
• Implemented new backend architecture using Kubernetes to reduce DevOps time and overhead by allowing teams to release new microservices that can scale effortlessly without having to provision and manage new servers.
• Architected realtime chat platform and presence tracking for 50k+ concurrent visitors using MQTT replacing obsolete in-house solution that required constant maintenance.
• Converted legacy jQuery app to modern web application using Vue in order to improve performance, maintainability, and user experience.
• Introduced UI component library as part of Clover design system to improve engineering velocity and reduce design QA time.
• Re-designed data storage solution using cheaper storage options on Google Cloud to reduce infrastructure costs by 44% allowing the business to offer customers longer default data retention as a competitive advantage.
• Managed and mentored 10+ junior and senior engineers as part of a happy, high performing team.
• Introduced Shape Up product development process to improve cross-team collaboration and help prioritize development roadmap.
Senior Software Developer
Mar 2015 - Dec 2015
• Developed web application for healthcare industry client with HIPAA requirements using Angular and MongoDB automating a previously manual process allowing their employees to spend less time on data entry.
• Collaborated directly with client stakeholders to ensure user feedback was effectively prioritized in order to optimize their use of billable engineering hours to help reduce cost and turnaround time.
UNL Information Technology Services
Jun 2013 - Oct 2015
• Built event check-in mobile app with Angular and Ionic which allowed university groups to replace manual data entry with a faster, digital process that reduced check-in time and enabled collection of new types of usage metrics.
• Implemented LDAP authentication in web applications that previously had no way to validate users' identity. Increased both student and staff trust in university applications.
• Used Angular, Firebase and Bluetooth proximity beacons to provide realtime presence information for university labs and offices to optimize room usage and improve ease of scheduling.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Bachelor, Advertising & Public Relations
2011 - 2015
Concentration in Computer Science
- Backend (Node, PHP, Python)
- Distributed System Design (Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, MQTT)
- Database Architecture (Elasticsearch, SQL, Bigtable, Redis, Firebase)
- Cloud Platforms (GCP, AWS)
- Team Leadership (Mentoring, Managing, Hiring, Cost Management, Cross-team Collaboration)
- Email Haydenhaydengascoigne@gmail.com
- (816) 244-9092